For this week of the challenge, I am turning to one of my favourite mini books. My boyfriend’s mum got me New Idea’s “Ultimate Chocolate Cookbook”, a tiny book that has 25 delicious recipes inside. One of my favourite aspects of the book is the troubleshooting chapter in the back, which shows you how to recover failed recipes by morphing them into something new. I haven’t had to resort to this myself yet, but I think recipes books need more of these.
As for the recipes, they range from the fun to the decadent. I think I have cooked almost all of them, so finding an untouched one was a challenge in itself. I happened to cook two recipes out of it today. One being white choc chip banana pikelets. The other being this molten chocolate torte:
The recipe is supposed to be for mini springform pans. In lieu of these, I cooked them in ramekins. I also substituted dark chocolate for milk chocolate: I’m not much of a fan of the dark.
I was just glad the centre stayed molten. Phew!
Puppy wants some. Look at him sitting so politely. Too bad mummy says no. Best I reserve the chocolatey evilness for myself. Really, it’s solely for his benefit. You’d think he would have learned from how sick he became after he obliterated the Easter egg stash, wouldn’t you?
Molten Chocolate Tortes
250g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
250g unsalted butter, chopped
4 egg yolks
1 cup plain flour
1 ¾ cups icing sugar
Ice-cream and strawberries to serve
1. Grease six 10cm round springform pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper above edges of pans
2. Combine chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl. Sit bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth
3. Combine eggs and yolks in a large bowl. Whisk for about 1 minute, or until frothy. Add chocolate mixture, in two batches, whisking to combine. Fold in sifted flour and icing sugar mixture. Divide chocolate among prepared pans. Place pans on an over tray.
4. Cook in a very hot oven (240°C) for about 15 minutes – the centres should still be soft. Remove sides from pans. Slide tortes onto serving plates.
5. Serve with ice cream and strawberries